Friday, February 3, 2012

Gedeon

I have every intention of one day writing about this past month, but until I get a chance to do that, I’ll simply write the rest of Gedeon’s story. Fortunately (perhaps only for me), he was never stable enough to leave the hospital. That meant that I could visit whenever I wanted to, even if it was 3am. He may or may not have appreciated the crazy white lady who kept talking while he was trying to sleep.
Around the beginning of December, he started posturing, which is something that happens shortly before death. But he remained alert up until the last time I saw him. I figured that he would be gone when I got back to Haiti after Christmas, so I told him what I wanted to tell him, I held his little hands, and I kissed his gigantic head.
On December 26, I received the following email:

Hi,
its Cindy, the social worker at Bernard Mevs Hospital. We've met twice I think, about Gedeon.

Unfortunately, I have some bad news. Like we all expected, Gedeon past away last week. When it comes to death, its always sad, but we all are kind of happy for him because now he is no longer in pain. We believe that he is in a better place right now.

On behalf of the Hospital, I wanted to thank you for caring so much for him. Not a lot of people do, not a lot understand how it must have been for him.
Again, Thank you so much. We all will continue to pray for him.
Sincerely
Cindy

I’m so glad to have been part of his little life. I hope he’s one of the people I recognize soon after getting to heaven. And I hope his head’s still a little bit big. 


2 comments:

  1. i'm so proud of you. and i believe you will see and recognize him in Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God." -Matthew 5:8 <3 Love you so much.

    ReplyDelete